• Welcome to Archie Comics Fan Forum. Please login or sign up.
 
July 11, 2020, 06:20:37 am

News:

Welcome! Please pardon the dust as we work to set the site up again :)


Welcome to Archie Comics Fan Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 11, 2020, 06:20:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Random Image

Recent Topics

Shoutbox

Jul 09 2020 6:01pm
Tuxedo Mark: My review of "Snob Hill Sextette" from Everything's Archie #104: https://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com/2020/07/09/comics-snob-hill-sextette/

Jul 09 2020 2:01pm
Tuxedo Mark: Archie Comics and Spotify are teaming up to launch new podcasts: https://archiecomics.com/archie-comics-spotify-to-launch-slate-of-new-podcast-series/

Jul 09 2020 10:56am
Tuxedo Mark: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been cancelled by Netflix. The fourth (and now final) part will drop later this year.

Jul 03 2020 2:15am
Oldiesmann: Layout has been fixed some and the duplicate date has been removed from the shoutbox

Jul 02 2020 9:18pm
archiecomicscollector: Katy Keene was canceled by The CW after one season.

Jul 02 2020 2:47am
Oldiesmann: Switched to a new portal so you might notice that the site layout is a bit different...

Jun 30 2020 3:21pm
Tuxedo Mark: Huh. It seems B&V Friends Jumbo Comics Digest is being renamed Betty and Veronica Best Friends Jumbo Comics Digest: https://archiecomics.com/september-2020-solicitations/ Just rolls off the tongue.

Jun 26 2020 8:34pm
Tuxedo Mark: My review of "Stranded in Paradise!" from Kevin Keller #3: https://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/comics-stranded-in-paradise/

Jun 21 2020 9:07pm
Tuxedo Mark: My review of "Isn't It Bromantic?" from Veronica #202: https://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com/2020/06/21/comics-isnt-it-bromantic/

Jun 20 2020 4:02pm
ASS-P: 2017 AND 2018.

Is It Just Me....

Started by SAGG, March 20, 2019, 11:27:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SAGG

... Or does the Kennedy's recent work on the newest Archie and B&V stories at the front of the digests look sort of like Harry Lucey's style? His B&V sure does... 🤔

Mr.Lodge

I've noticed that the newer stories drawn is the past several years in the digests look awful and cheap as opposed in the past.



Vegan Jughead

Quote from: Mr.Lodge on March 21, 2019, 06:31:28 amI've noticed that the newer stories drawn is the past several years in the digests look awful and cheap as opposed in the past.



I actually think this is the Kennedys trying to be Harry Lucey and it isn't too bad at that! Veronica's skirt is too short and her stance is pretty vulgar considering these are supposed to be teenagers.  I'm no prude but I don't really read Archie for that.  

SAGG

Quote from: Vegan Jughead on March 22, 2019, 04:35:24 pm
Quote from: Mr.Lodge on March 21, 2019, 06:31:28 amI've noticed that the newer stories drawn is the past several years in the digests look awful and cheap as opposed in the past.



I actually think this is the Kennedys trying to be Harry Lucey and it isn't too bad at that! Veronica's skirt is too short and her stance is pretty vulgar considering these are supposed to be teenagers.  I'm no prude but I don't really read Archie for that. 
Quote from: Vegan Jughead on March 22, 2019, 04:35:24 pm
Quote from: Mr.Lodge on March 21, 2019, 06:31:28 amI've noticed that the newer stories drawn is the past several years in the digests look awful and cheap as opposed in the past.



I actually think this is the Kennedys trying to be Harry Lucey and it isn't too bad at that! Veronica's skirt is too short and her stance is pretty vulgar considering these are supposed to be teenagers.  I'm no prude but I don't really read Archie for that. 
Yet you noticed... 😆

DeCarlo Rules

March 23, 2019, 01:08:22 pm #4 Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:14:41 pm by DeCarlo Rules
Vulgar??  :tickedoff:

Yet when Lucey and DeCarlo did it, it was somehow okay, but if the Kennedys do it today... well, NOW it's just "awful and cheap". And what in bloody blazes does a page of Chic Stone drawing the gang making a snowman have to do with anything??

THIS (this kind of criticism) is EXACTLY what's wrong with comics today. Yeah, you really ARE a prude.


Vegan Jughead

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 23, 2019, 01:08:22 pmVulgar??  :tickedoff:

Yet when Lucey and DeCarlo did it, it was somehow okay, but if the Kennedys do it today... well, NOW it's just "awful and cheap". And what in bloody blazes does a page of Chic Stone drawing the gang making a snowman have to do with anything??

THIS (this kind of criticism) is EXACTLY what's wrong with comics today. Yeah, you really ARE a prude.


OK, guilty as charged I guess.  I don't mind the stuff being made. I'm first amendment ALL the way! Just not what I look for in Archie, though I admit I enjoyed this digest cover and I say that as someone that isn't a HUGE Fernando fan. This is one of his best IMO. Despite what I said, I appreciate the Kennedys paying tribute to Harry!

Tuxedo Mark

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 23, 2019, 01:08:22 pm

I have nothing to add to the discussion. I just wanna point out that I just noticed, for the first time, Betty has blossoms all over her bikini top. Probably got it from Cheryl. :coolsmiley:
BV-kiss-small
Riverdale Reviewed
http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com
Every episode of "Riverdale", "The New Archies", and "Archie's Weird Mysteries" reviewed.
My digital wish list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14FS742SI1R5I

DeCarlo Rules

March 24, 2019, 01:27:02 am #7 Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:43:05 am by DeCarlo Rules
In defense of the Kennedy brothers, I have to say that the quality of their work as cartoonists in the humor genre has improved 1000% over the course of the last 20 years. I'm not sure what, exactly, spurred the brothers on to new artistic heights, but I first began noticing it in the wake of their work on the LIFE WITH ARCHIE magazine series. Somehow that lit a fire under their butts. I truly believe they ARE, more than any other artists employed by ACP, the true heirs to the legacy of the rather specific Archie style blazed by Harry Lucey. I'm not just talking about their ability to draw sexy attractive cartoon girls -- when you really study their art, you can tell that they've taken to mastering the real "animation-on-paper" aspects of the comic medium. Their mastery of time & space, as applied to slapstick comedy, is truly amazing. Bodies float or fly, trip or tumble, end-over-end, in an almost balletic display of aerial acrobatics. Body language, attitudes and facial expressions are incredibly well-defined. Background details are rich with what MAD's Will Elder deemed as "chicken fat"... the sort of visual detail that may add nothing to the story itself, but makes the world of the comic come alive. They're paying close attention to fashion as well, in a way that virtually no other ACP artists do. I mean, Dan Parent used to pay a lot more attention to that sort of thing when he had the time and luxury to do so -- but not as much these days, except on those special projects Like Archie Meets Batman '66, or Your Pal Archie. That's part of Dan DeCarlo's legacy of contribution to teen humor comics. When you look at the Kennedys' work from 20 years back, it's... unremarkable. I mean, there was nothing technically WRONG with it. It's... "perfectly acceptable". There just wasn't anything to say about it -- like that page of art by Chic Stone with the snowman that we just saw above. It's okay, but nobody's going to notice it, or linger on it to study it. So I guess the Kennedys are forcing us to NOTICE them, and some people don't like that. Blend in with the crowd, don't stand out -- be bland but steady and dependable. Frankly I prefer the Kennedy brothers of today, not yesterday. Lest you think this is just a Kennedy love-fest, I will point out that their work in the horror genre is nowhere near as well-developed as their humor work. There's nothing WRONG with it, it's just... unremarkable. But then I'm judging it by different standards, the standards that have been set for outstanding work in the horror genre.

SAGG

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 24, 2019, 01:27:02 amIn defense of the Kennedy brothers, I have to say that the quality of their work as cartoonists in the humor genre has improved 1000% over the course of the last 20 years. I'm not sure what, exactly, spurred the brothers on to new artistic heights, but I first began noticing it in the wake of their work on the LIFE WITH ARCHIE magazine series. Somehow that lit a fire under their butts. I truly believe they ARE, more than any other artists employed by ACP, the true heirs to the legacy of the rather specific Archie style blazed by Harry Lucey. I'm not just talking about their ability to draw sexy attractive cartoon girls -- when you really study their art, you can tell that they've taken to mastering the real "animation-on-paper" aspects of the comic medium. Their mastery of time & space, as applied to slapstick comedy, is truly amazing. Bodies float or fly, trip or tumble, end-over-end, in an almost balletic display of aerial acrobatics. Body language, attitudes and facial expressions are incredibly well-defined. Background details are rich with what MAD's Will Elder deemed as "chicken fat"... the sort of visual detail that may add nothing to the story itself, but makes the world of the comic come alive. They're paying close attention to fashion as well, in a way that virtually no other ACP artists do. I mean, Dan Parent used to pay a lot more attention to that sort of thing when he had the time and luxury to do so -- but not as much these days, except on those special projects Like Archie Meets Batman '66, or Your Pal Archie. That's part of Dan DeCarlo's legacy of contribution to teen humor comics. When you look at the Kennedys' work from 20 years back, it's... unremarkable. I mean, there was nothing technically WRONG with it. It's... "perfectly acceptable". There just wasn't anything to say about it -- like that page of art by Chic Stone with the snowman that we just saw above. It's okay, but nobody's going to notice it, or linger on it to study it. So I guess the Kennedys are forcing us to NOTICE them, and some people don't like that. Blend in with the crowd, don't stand out -- be bland but steady and dependable. Frankly I prefer the Kennedy brothers of today, not yesterday. Lest you think this is just a Kennedy love-fest, I will point out that their work in the horror genre is nowhere near as well-developed as their humor work. There's nothing WRONG with it, it's just... unremarkable. But then I'm judging it by different standards, the standards that have been set for outstanding work in the horror genre.
So, I wasn't the only one who noticed this! Good for me! 😆

SAGG

I wonder now, the styles: Schultz is similar to DeCarlo (B&V). Ruiz to Schwartz. The Kennedys to Lucey. Parent, his own? 🤔

DeCarlo Rules

March 27, 2019, 08:30:11 am #10 Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:32:01 am by DeCarlo Rules
Quote from: SAGG on March 26, 2019, 10:23:03 amI wonder now, the styles: Schultz is similar to DeCarlo (B&V). Ruiz to Schwartz. The Kennedys to Lucey. Parent, his own? 🤔

Dan Parent worked closely with Dan DeCarlo (over his layouts) in the beginning, and his own style evolved gradually after being closer to DDC's at first, although he always had his own idiosyncrasies. Funny you say Schwartz for Ruiz, as I would have said Lucey more than anyone else... but also more "his own" than anything else (especially since working on Archie's Weird Mysteries). Remarkably, Jeff Schultz' style has changed hardly at all since his earliest work, always closely modeled on the DDC style. The Kennedys started out sort of nondescript, and then more recently began studying Lucey's style very carefully.

SAGG

March 27, 2019, 11:39:06 pm #11 Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:58:59 am by SAGG
Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2019, 08:30:11 am
Quote from: SAGG on March 26, 2019, 10:23:03 amI wonder now, the styles: Schultz is similar to DeCarlo (B&V). Ruiz to Schwartz. The Kennedys to Lucey. Parent, his own? 🤔

Dan Parent worked closely with Dan DeCarlo (over his layouts) in the beginning, and his own style evolved gradually after being closer to DDC's at first, although he always had his own idiosyncrasies. Funny you say Schwartz for Ruiz, as I would have said Lucey more than anyone else... but also more "his own" than anything else (especially since working on Archie's Weird Mysteries). Remarkably, Jeff Schultz' style has changed hardly at all since his earliest work, always closely modeled on the DDC style. The Kennedys started out sort of nondescript, and then more recently began studying Lucey's style very carefully.
I could have compared Parent to DeCarlo, but you just gave me the reason. 😎 Parent is now his own man. Schultz took over the DeCarlo spot...

The Archie character names and likenesses are covered by the registered trademarks/copyrights of Archie Comic Publications, Inc. and are used with permission by this site. The Official Archie Comics website can be visited at www.archiecomics.com.