• Welcome to Archie Comics Fan Forum. Please login or sign up.
 
Welcome to Archie Comics Fan Forum. Please login or sign up.

November 26, 2020, 05:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Shoutbox

Nov 11 2020 11:07pm
Tuxedo Mark: My review of "Hollywood or Bust" from Cheryl Blossom (Goes to Hollywood) #3: https://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com/2020/11/11/comics-hollywood-or-bust/

Nov 08 2020 1:48pm
Tuxedo Mark: R.I.P., Alex Trebek. :(

Nov 06 2020 9:38pm
Tuxedo Mark: I recently got some Archie stuff in the mail and did unboxing videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLGvRaVI1s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0iDb3T9l3c

Nov 06 2020 9:23am
Tuxedo Mark: Thanks. :)

Nov 06 2020 12:09am
Oldiesmann: Theme has been updated and everyone has been switched back to the orange theme :)

Nov 05 2020 12:43am
Oldiesmann: Switched everyone over to the default theme for now and have contacted the person who made the orange one for assistance.

Nov 05 2020 12:39am
Oldiesmann: Only seems to be an issue with the orange theme though for some reason

Nov 05 2020 12:28am
Oldiesmann: Not sure what's going on with posts. Looking into it though.

Nov 04 2020 11:10am
Hanna Barbera Montana: Yeah, me too. Might be because of the upgrade on the site.

Oct 31 2020 1:36pm
Tuxedo Mark: My latest thread reply isn't showing up, and Quick Reply seems to be gone.

Hypothetical Highlights for May/June 2020

Started by DeCarlo Rules, March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeCarlo Rules

March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AM Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:53:05 AM by DeCarlo Rules
Even as the Sword of Damocles represented by COVID-19 hangs like a grim spectre poised to crush Diamond Comic Distributors (and the entire comic shop retailing industry as it has existed in the 21st century), there are new solicitations. Anything could happen, at the time I'm posting this, but the month's ACP solicitations are more exciting collectively than they've been in a while, IMO. In addition to continuing the just-shipped SUPER DUCK reboot (which I thought was funny and just great), here are some of the notables:


SUPERTEEN Betty Cooper is back! In her own series!! (These are just 2 out of 5 cover variants)




Another Archie crossover miniseries by the Archie Meets Batman '66 creative team of Jeff Parker & Dan Parent!

Certainly not one which would have occurred to me. Well, at least they're trying to keep the crossover concept going, but legal logistics probably rule out any kind of 'dream crossover' projects with Star Wars or Spider-Man. Superman would seem to be at least a possibility based on previous AC/DC co-productions, so fingers crossed for next time.




World of ARCHIE 100th Issue Special:

Not on my usual reading list, but I'll certainly be picking this one up (I HOPE!!) based on this solicitation description:
(W) Bill Golliher (A) Various (CA) Pat & Tim Kennedy
BRAND NEW STORY: "Hundreds of Possibilities!" Celebrate the milestone 100th issue of World of Archie! Archie takes a nap only to be awakened by someone pounding on his door. To his surprise, it's his best friend Jughead-but not the Jughead he recognizes. This one belongs to something called the Time Police, and he comes with a warning: all the Archie space time continuum will soon be collapsed into one reality. Archie must join forces with Jughead to save the day-and all of time as we know it!
In Shops: Jun 17, 2020
SRP: $7.99

Ooooh!! An Archie Multiverse story featuring Deputy Marshal Forsythe P. Jones of the Time Police!! SWEET!! Doesn't say whether the new story is longer than the standard digest lead of 5 pages, but one hopes against hope for a one-time exception 20-pager in honor of reaching 100 issues. Certainly sounds like more plot than they can squeeze down into a standard 5-pager, though. FINGERS CROSSED!



On the trade paperback front, there's this (No real details, so it's a crapshoot as to whether there will be any significant percentage of not-previously-collected stories making up this volume):

Is it merely the trade paperback version of the earlier-revised HC Deluxe Edition of the even-earlier Best of Archie Comics Volume 1 trade collection? Or an entirely different remix? No way to tell at present. Buyer Beware!



And of course, the continuing exploits and/or travails of the "All-New, All-Cynical" SUPER DUCK. NOT an All-Ages title as you might expect:

SUPER DUCK #1 read somewhat like a strange fusion of Mighty Mouse and Marvel's Howard the Duck. A complete reboot of the classic ACP character -- no prior familiarity necessary. Highly recommended by this reader!



Finally, on the Archie-peripheral collectibles front, there's THIS book (for a mere $5 cover price) from ACP licensee BuzzPop:

Tuxedo Mark

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMSUPERTEEN Betty Cooper is back! In her own series!! (These are just 2 out of 5 cover variants)

Haha, a one-shot is not a series.

Anyway, this hasn't come out, which is a shame.

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AM

Ooh, this one's hella sexy.

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMAnother Archie crossover miniseries by the Archie Meets Batman '66 creative team of Jeff Parker & Dan Parent!

Certainly not one which would have occurred to me. Well, at least they're trying to keep the crossover concept going, but legal logistics probably rule out any kind of 'dream crossover' projects with Star Wars or Spider-Man. Superman would seem to be at least a possibility based on previous AC/DC co-productions, so fingers crossed for next time.

This hasn't come out either.

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMWorld of ARCHIE 100th Issue Special:

Not on my usual reading list, but I'll certainly be picking this one up (I HOPE!!) based on this solicitation description:
(W) Bill Golliher (A) Various (CA) Pat & Tim Kennedy
BRAND NEW STORY: "Hundreds of Possibilities!" Celebrate the milestone 100th issue of World of Archie! Archie takes a nap only to be awakened by someone pounding on his door. To his surprise, it's his best friend Jughead-but not the Jughead he recognizes. This one belongs to something called the Time Police, and he comes with a warning: all the Archie space time continuum will soon be collapsed into one reality. Archie must join forces with Jughead to save the day-and all of time as we know it!
In Shops: Jun 17, 2020
SRP: $7.99

Ooooh!! An Archie Multiverse story featuring Deputy Marshal Forsythe P. Jones of the Time Police!! SWEET!! Doesn't say whether the new story is longer than the standard digest lead of 5 pages, but one hopes against hope for a one-time exception 20-pager in honor of reaching 100 issues. Certainly sounds like more plot than they can squeeze down into a standard 5-pager, though. FINGERS CROSSED!

The digest came out, but the new story isn't in it. Instead, the featured story is a reprint of "Welcome to Mirrordale".

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMFinally, on the Archie-peripheral collectibles front, there's THIS book (for a mere $5 cover price) from ACP licensee BuzzPop:


This actually did come out on June 30.
BV-kiss-small
Riverdale Reviewed
http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com
Every episode of "Riverdale", "The New Archies", and "Archie's Weird Mysteries" reviewed.
My digital wish list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14FS742SI1R5I

DeCarlo Rules

Quote from: Tuxedo Mark on July 15, 2020, 09:38:06 PM
Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMWorld of ARCHIE 100th Issue Special:

Not on my usual reading list, but I'll certainly be picking this one up (I HOPE!!) based on this solicitation description:
(W) Bill Golliher (A) Various (CA) Pat & Tim Kennedy
BRAND NEW STORY: "Hundreds of Possibilities!" Celebrate the milestone 100th issue of World of Archie! Archie takes a nap only to be awakened by someone pounding on his door. To his surprise, it's his best friend Jughead-but not the Jughead he recognizes. This one belongs to something called the Time Police, and he comes with a warning: all the Archie space time continuum will soon be collapsed into one reality. Archie must join forces with Jughead to save the day-and all of time as we know it!
In Shops: Jun 17, 2020
SRP: $7.99

Ooooh!! An Archie Multiverse story featuring Deputy Marshal Forsythe P. Jones of the Time Police!! SWEET!! Doesn't say whether the new story is longer than the standard digest lead of 5 pages, but one hopes against hope for a one-time exception 20-pager in honor of reaching 100 issues. Certainly sounds like more plot than they can squeeze down into a standard 5-pager, though. FINGERS CROSSED!

The digest came out, but the new story isn't in it. Instead, the featured story is a reprint of "Welcome to Mirrordale".

RATS! I was really looking forward to that new story. Now I'll probably never know when (or IF) it's published in some other digest.

I guess WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO DIGEST #100 was still worth buying though, because of the variety of reprints. I haven't read an issue in about 2 years, and can't even remember the last digest that had a "From the Vault" section (let alone TWO!!). I think the Pat the Brat story was new, but I'm not 100% sure... plus there was Super Duck, Ginger, Katy Keene, and even a Reggie story. Aside from the missing new story, if every issue of WOA was like that, I'd be buying it regularly. At least it looked a lot better than ARCHIE JUMBO DIGEST #300, which aside from a new 5-pager whose plot revolved around the number 300 (typical), it looks like they put zero effort into making it special at all.

And since they seem to be doing all these special "limited" 12-issue digest series lately, why not one composed of nothing but classics "From the Vault" of the many different titles published in the 1950s and 1960s?

Tuxedo Mark

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on July 25, 2020, 12:03:34 PMRATS! I was really looking forward to that new story. Now I'll probably never know when (or IF) it's published in some other digest.

I've noticed, lately, none of the digests have new stories in them (not sure if even the covers are new). I don't know why that is. Archie Comics makes most of its money, I assume, from licensing (Riverdale, novels, etc.) and digests, not floppies, so I don't see why they can't pay for a new 5-page story in each digest. The last new story, I think, was in Archie Comics Double Digest #310, back on June 3.
BV-kiss-small
Riverdale Reviewed
http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com
Every episode of "Riverdale", "The New Archies", and "Archie's Weird Mysteries" reviewed.
My digital wish list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14FS742SI1R5I

Hanna Barbera Montana

Quote from: Tuxedo Mark on July 27, 2020, 06:05:19 PM
Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on July 25, 2020, 12:03:34 PMRATS! I was really looking forward to that new story. Now I'll probably never know when (or IF) it's published in some other digest.

I've noticed, lately, none of the digests have new stories in them (not sure if even the covers are new). I don't know why that is. Archie Comics makes most of its money, I assume, from licensing (Riverdale, novels, etc.) and digests, not floppies, so I don't see why they can't pay for a new 5-page story in each digest. The last new story, I think, was in Archie Comics Double Digest #310, back on June 3.
New stories are apparently coming back in October, according to the new solicits: https://archiecomics.com/october-2020-solicitations/

Hanna Barbera Montana

July 28, 2020, 05:17:51 PM #5 Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:27:31 PM by Hanna Barbera Montana
Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 AMOn the trade paperback front, there's this (No real details, so it's a crapshoot as to whether there will be any significant percentage of not-previously-collected stories making up this volume):

Is it merely the trade paperback version of the earlier-revised HC Deluxe Edition of the even-earlier Best of Archie Comics Volume 1 trade collection? Or an entirely different remix? No way to tell at present. Buyer Beware!

Judging by the Amazon description and date, it's looks simply a repackage of the even-earlier trade collection, though I'm unsure, but it wouldn't surprise (could be a paperback of the hardback version however): https://www.amazon.com/Best-Archie-Comics-Superstars/dp/1879794845/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23UK0467V9JM3&dchild=1&keywords=best+of+archie+comics+book+1&qid=1595970894&sprefix=best+of+arc%2Caps%2C459&sr=8-3

Tuxedo Mark

Quote from: Hanna Barbera Montana on July 27, 2020, 10:15:56 PMNew stories are apparently coming back in October, according to the new solicits: https://archiecomics.com/october-2020-solicitations/

Nice! Thanks. :) Hmm, Sabrina: Something Wicked #4? When does #3 come out? Amazon still doesn't list it.
BV-kiss-small
Riverdale Reviewed
http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com
Every episode of "Riverdale", "The New Archies", and "Archie's Weird Mysteries" reviewed.
My digital wish list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14FS742SI1R5I

Hanna Barbera Montana

Quote from: Tuxedo Mark on July 28, 2020, 06:26:51 PM
Quote from: Hanna Barbera Montana on July 27, 2020, 10:15:56 PMNew stories are apparently coming back in October, according to the new solicits: https://archiecomics.com/october-2020-solicitations/

Nice! Thanks. :) Hmm, Sabrina: Something Wicked #4? When does #3 come out? Amazon still doesn't list it.
Hmmm... Ebay says August 26 (for presale), Previews World says September 23rd.

DeCarlo Rules

Waitin' for Satan. The Madam Satan one-shot. Wonder if we'll see Superteen #1 or Archie Meets Flash Gordon #1 before that?

Oh, irony... the Archie Comics FCBD book shipped from Diamond this week. Nothing to write home about. I read it, but I'm tossing it back to my LCS next week.

Due next week from Diamond:
ARCHIE & FRIENDS FOREVER TP
ARCHIE EXPLORERS OF THE UNKNOWN TP
B & V FRIENDS JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #282
(...and who knows what else; mainly just keeping track of the classic stuff for myself.)

Also, that ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #1 apparently is out this week, but since I forgot to order a copy until last week, I won't get mine until next week. I'd be more excited if the character being showcased was anyone but Archie.

Tuxedo Mark

Quote from: Hanna Barbera Montana on July 28, 2020, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: Tuxedo Mark on July 28, 2020, 06:26:51 PM
Quote from: Hanna Barbera Montana on July 27, 2020, 10:15:56 PMNew stories are apparently coming back in October, according to the new solicits: https://archiecomics.com/october-2020-solicitations/

Nice! Thanks. :) Hmm, Sabrina: Something Wicked #4? When does #3 come out? Amazon still doesn't list it.
Hmmm... Ebay says August 26 (for presale), Previews World says September 23rd.

I think it was yesterday (or the day before) that I saw a listing for it on Amazon that said August 26, but it's gone now.
BV-kiss-small
Riverdale Reviewed
http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com
Every episode of "Riverdale", "The New Archies", and "Archie's Weird Mysteries" reviewed.
My digital wish list
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/14FS742SI1R5I

DeCarlo Rules

ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #1 (despite focusing on a character who isn't exactly lacking in exposure) was pretty good. A much higher than average dose of the older classic stories in this one. Especially looking forward to #2 featuring Jughead.

Hanna Barbera Montana

"Hundreds of Possibilities" apparently will be included in a new jumbo "Collector's Edition"' digest in February, just in time for the 80th anniversary.

https://archiecomics.com/february-2021-solicitations/

DeCarlo Rules

There were some good things in that month, 3 digests and 1 floppy comic which I'm planning to get. I hope "Hundreds of Possibilities" finally does see print in the Archie 80th Anniversary digest.

The Archie character names and likenesses are covered by the registered trademarks/copyrights of Archie Comic Publications, Inc. and are used with permission by this site. The Official Archie Comics website can be visited at www.archiecomics.com.