• Welcome to Archie Comics Fan Forum. Please login or sign up.
 
collapse

Random Image

untitled
untitled
Posted by: BettyReggie
Posted in album: BettyReggie favorites

Search


Recent Topics

Re: Sliding timeline by Tuxedo Mark
[May 31, 2020, 10:07:42 pm]


Archie Art Blogs by Captain Jetpack
[May 30, 2020, 12:33:52 pm]


Re: Archie Comics Digests... the origin story by ASS-P
[May 30, 2020, 08:08:06 am]


Re: Riverdale Reviewed by Tuxedo Mark
[May 24, 2020, 05:34:54 pm]


Vintage Archie Comics & Merch for Sale by archiecomicscollector
[May 07, 2020, 09:42:09 am]


Re: Possible issue--might need youre hekp by Tuxedo Mark
[May 01, 2020, 04:41:03 pm]


I'm here. by ASS-P
[April 05, 2020, 12:42:32 am]


Hypothetical Highlights for May/June 2020 by DeCarlo Rules
[March 27, 2020, 02:42:30 am]


Re: New issue of Super ‘Suckers has just debuted by DeCarlo Rules
[March 21, 2020, 12:47:01 am]


Re: Red Sonja & Vampirella Meet Betty & Veronica #9 by Amy Chu & Dan Parent by Tuxedo Mark
[March 18, 2020, 09:25:00 am]

Shoutbox

  • Mr.Lodge: Your right about Dan Parent's art is generic at best.
    June 02, 2020, 05:58:04 pm
  • Tuxedo Mark: My reviews of "Love is Nasty" [link] and "That's News to Me" [link] from Betty and Veronica Digest #180-182
    May 24, 2020, 05:35:52 pm
  • Tuxedo Mark: My review of "Bath Wrath" from Betty and Veronica Digest #180: [link]
    May 22, 2020, 08:55:07 pm
  • Tuxedo Mark: Gah, this is so frustrating. Red Sonja and Vampirella Meet Betty and Veronica #11-12 have been pushed back again. Originally scheduled for May 27, #11 will now come out on July 1 and #13 on July 29.
    May 21, 2020, 01:30:59 pm
  • Tuxedo Mark: Wow, the Betty and Veronica: The Bond of Friendship OGN came out last Tuesday.
    May 19, 2020, 01:29:05 pm
  • ASS-P: ..." Expensive, sorta hilly land with zoning board3/lawd and planningcommiddions a big factor ", so mass-market things were a little rarer
    May 18, 2020, 03:10:21 pm
  • ASS-P: The funny thing is that we have this remaining K-Mart here...and we had none of them when I was here in the 20thbCentury! We had a similat, but regional, chain that was only in New York and Connecticut I think, called Caldor's, they covered the same portion of the market. We had expensive. sorta hi.
    May 17, 2020, 02:07:57 am
  • ASS-P: I grew up with a big Sears near me here,,,and it is still there! How many full-fledged Sears stores are lef
    May 17, 2020, 02:01:55 am
  • ASS-P: ......The last K I was in before this (which still had ACP digests), in Watsonville, CA, which I left six-ish months ago (the area of) is still there!!!!!
    May 17, 2020, 01:43:24 am
  • ASS-P: ...lie in bed...Perhaps I can go there later.
    May 17, 2020, 01:40:33 am
  • ASS-P: ...I noted with interest that oné of those K-Marts is less than 2 miles from where I live in bed now.
    May 17, 2020, 01:37:52 am
  • ASS-P: Westchester County is part of the New York City metro area but when I speak of it I'm speaking of Westchester, not NYC, Manhattan of " the bouroghs ".
    May 17, 2020, 01:35:20 am
  • ASS-P: ...Thank you# Yeah, 50-something, says Wiki. The whole operatic death scene of Sears had stopped getting media attention recently and likewise I'd heard of the big I'd status little if any after hearing of a plan pushed for by Lampert's creditors that would've closed down both K-Mart and Sears...
    May 17, 2020, 01:21:47 am
  • Tuxedo Mark: My Walmart has them. As for Kmart, there are only 50 left in the entire country (according to their website). Maybe even less.
    May 16, 2020, 11:19:14 pm
  • ASS-P: Bing back the link to the comic strip!
    May 16, 2020, 11:12:59 pm
  • ASS-P: I am now living in Westchester County, New York, which is my hometown area.
    May 16, 2020, 11:12:12 pm
  • ASS-P: That Wal-Mart didn't carry the DC Giants either. When they first came out, I saw them there, and other " gimmick/stunt "-packaged issues. I read that some Targets were going to carry the DC Giants but I haven't seen any at any Target where I've been.
    May 16, 2020, 11:10:53 pm
  • ASS-P: I went to a Wal-Mart-Mart recently and saw no digests, is what I meant.
    May 16, 2020, 11:06:03 pm
  • ASS-P: ...Oh, and does anyone here eveI went to a Wal-Mart recently, and they did not have digests that I could see, or the brandedr see standard-format comic books being sold at other non-comics shop.places? The last I heard, DC still had some newsstand and I presume ACP's comic books would have some too.
    May 16, 2020, 11:04:58 pm
  • ASS-P: Asaannd...does anyone here see the digests anywhere these last two months? Has newsstand distribution of the digests ceased completely?
    May 16, 2020, 10:58:15 pm

My thoughts on the upcoming Archie 1941 miniseries taking the main series place

Started by terrence12, June 06, 2018, 11:23:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

terrence12

You know I read the news that a new miniseries called Archie 1941 will replace the Archie main series which is about to be in hiatus which I don't know 'why?'As it tells about the Archie gang in a 1941 setting after they graduate from high school reaching towards  adulthood as they deal with life in the  town of Riverdale when their country heads towards world war II.
Now my opinion is that I appreciate that the miniseries will take place in a year the character debuted however I think it should have  been the retelling of Archie and his gang earlier tales during the 1940s or least take place in the middle of the 40s and the 50s which was the era where the characters gain their popularity.
Still maybe we will see what the miniseries like as we take a look at the 1941 version of the Archie characters dealing with life in world war 2 era ,And I wonder if the main Archie series will come back after the miniseries ended and see if it is ongoing or not.

Vegan Jughead

Quote from: terrence12 on June 06, 2018, 11:23:09 am
You know I read the news that a new miniseries called Archie 1941 will replace the Archie main series which is about to be in hiatus which I don't know 'why?'As it tells about the Archie gang in a 1941 setting after they graduate from high school reaching towards  adulthood as they deal with life in the  town of Riverdale when their country heads towards world war II.
Now my opinion is that I appreciate that the miniseries will take place in a year the character debuted however I think it should have  been the retelling of Archie and his gang earlier tales during the 1940s or least take place in the middle of the 40s and the 50s which was the era where the characters gain their popularity.
Still maybe we will see what the miniseries like as we take a look at the 1941 version of the Archie characters dealing with life in world war 2 era ,And I wonder if the main Archie series will come back after the miniseries ended and see if it is ongoing or not.



I'm pretty sure the main title isn't selling much and that's why they're trying this miniseries, so in one way I wouldn't expect the main title back, BUT how would it look if Archie Comics isn't even publishing it's flagship title?  That would be an embarrassment.  Then again, they aren't publishing a regular Betty and Veronica or Jughead title either and the world hasn't ended.  As I said in an earlier post, I'm not sure there's anything they can do. I think to most folks, Archie just isn't compelling and doesn't relate to world. The TV show bought them some time, but it remains to be seen how much. 

Neikavai


DeCarlo Rules

I have a feeling the ARCHIE 1941 miniseries is going to be a big bomb, saleswise. If they thought sales were slipping and that this idea (just by virtue of its novelty value) would perk up readers' interest for a few months, I think they badly miscalculated.

Interest in reading comic book stories which are period pieces set during WWII has been slowly but surely diminishing among the average comic book reader since at least the mid-1980s. During the Silver and Bronze Ages of comic book collecting, there was a high awareness among the serious collectors and students of comics' history of the roots of iconic characters being during that era, and a consequent fascination with it.

Not any more, though. The average comic book reader not only couldn't care less about history (either real-world history, or the history of comic books), it's effectively an active turn-off for them. Like Vegan said, it's "not relevant" and has nothing to do with the world those readers live in. There's no nostalgia to be had among the majority of comics readers for your old granddad's time (or even your great granddad's).

IMO, if what they were attempting to focus on in this story was what Archie's life was like as a typical high school student in 1941 -- how was it the same for teenagers 25, 50 or 75 years later? and in what ways was it different? -- it would have been a lot more relevant to what ARCHIE, as a comic book character with more than 75 years of history behind him, has really been about -- always reflecting "the high school experience" (whatever that may mean).

The real oddity of the ARCHIE 1941 concept isn't that it attempts to recreate the Archie comic stories of those times and translate them into a modern style of storytelling (with a more serious spin). It's nothing like the published Archie storyline of 1941 (or any later time), since it deals with Archie and his friends leaving adolescence behind them as they graduate into adulthood in a world that stands on the brink of global war. In short, it really has FAR less to do with what Archie has been traditionally about, than even the modern reboot spin that it's temporarily replacing.

ASS-P

...I have #1 of this, but I haven't read it yet. Just in case you don't know, there was already a military draft in America prior to Pearl Harbor - I believe it went into effect in 1940 - and I assume the story will reflect this.

ASS-P

...I read it. Okay. Interesting to see Veronica return to her earlier b-word characterization. Did Archie accidently drop the picture when leaving Betty?
  For historical accuracy, I see that the draft was not mention ed at all. Even if we follow the general theory that Riverdale is in the Pennsylvania-through-Massacusetts. Or heart I"m thinking ..questionable that a black female could be at the beach with white friends, and ummmmm, maybe, about Chuck receiving his diploma with the rest - His parents were in the balcony. Chuck"a face appeared discolored in one panel. If we accept the story Archie once advanced, that Riverdale is in Branson, MO/nearby - Well!!!!!!!!!

Terry1

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on July 16, 2018, 05:22:30 pm
I have a feeling the ARCHIE 1941 miniseries is going to be a big bomb, saleswise. If they thought sales were slipping and that this idea (just by virtue of its novelty value) would perk up readers' interest for a few months, I think they badly miscalculated.

Interest in reading comic book stories which are period pieces set during WWII has been slowly but surely diminishing among the average comic book reader since at least the mid-1980s. During the Silver and Bronze Ages of comic book collecting, there was a high awareness among the serious collectors and students of comics' history of the roots of iconic characters being during that era, and a consequent fascination with it.

Not any more, though. The average comic book reader not only couldn't care less about history (either real-world history, or the history of comic books), it's effectively an active turn-off for them. Like Vegan said, it's "not relevant" and has nothing to do with the world those readers live in. There's no nostalgia to be had among the majority of comics readers for your old granddad's time (or even your great granddad's).

IMO, if what they were attempting to focus on in this story was what Archie's life was like as a typical high school student in 1941 -- how was it the same for teenagers 25, 50 or 75 years later? and in what ways was it different? -- it would have been a lot more relevant to what ARCHIE, as a comic book character with more than 75 years of history behind him, has really been about -- always reflecting "the high school experience" (whatever that may mean).

The real oddity of the ARCHIE 1941 concept isn't that it attempts to recreate the Archie comic stories of those times and translate them into a modern style of storytelling (with a more serious spin). It's nothing like the published Archie storyline of 1941 (or any later time), since it deals with Archie and his friends leaving adolescence behind them as they graduate into adulthood in a world that stands on the brink of global war. In short, it really has FAR less to do with what Archie has been traditionally about, than even the modern reboot spin that it's temporarily replacing.



I think the main reasons Archie keeps making floppies despite what I imagine are just awful sales are (i) eventually bundle them into TPBs that will reach
Ontario's and bookstores and (ii) more importantly, generate high concept ideas that can leverage their IP into other, more lucrative media, like tv shows and movies. I do worry that Archie was so eager to break into other media that there's a good chance they're getting screwed on their Riverdale and Sabrina licensing deals, when what they should be doing is building a war chest for leaner times.

irishmoxie

I read it. Too depressing and too obvious by hinting that Archie will be signing up for the military. Decarlo is right. It's nothing like the comedic comics from the 40s.

Fernando Ruiz

Quote from: DeCarlo Rules on July 16, 2018, 05:22:30 pm

IMO, if what they were attempting to focus on in this story was what Archie's life was like as a typical high school student in 1941 -- how was it the same for teenagers 25, 50 or 75 years later? and in what ways was it different? -- it would have been a lot more relevant to what ARCHIE, as a comic book character with more than 75 years of history behind him, has really been about -- always reflecting "the high school experience" (whatever that may mean).




That could've been very interesting... but it is what the company has been running from at top speed for the last two years.




ASS-P

...Oh. God, another carefully written draft fell victim to this crappy phone! :'( :'(

DeCarlo Rules

Quote from: ASS-P on September 30, 2018, 08:13:53 am
...Oh. God, another carefully written draft fell victim to this crappy phone! :'( :'(


Isn't there a notepad app on your phone you can use to type out replies in? Then you can copy&paste the finished text into the browser window for post replies. If you somehow lose it in the browser window before it actually posts, then you can go back to your notepad app and try copy&paste again until you actually get it to post.

ASS-P

...I don't know that there is :( . And even if there is. it's likely I don't know how to do it...I'm EXTREMELY undersupplied with
computer knowledge :'(






[/size]
[/font]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]


[/size]
[/size]


...(I lost another draft :-[ )...I don't know whether this phone has that...and if it does, I might not be able to do it :( . I am REALLY I xersupplied with tech know-how :'( .........

































DeCarlo Rules

Quote from: ASS-P on October 01, 2018, 08:54:43 pm
...(I lost another draft :-[ )...I don't know whether this phone has that...and if it does, I might not be able to do it :( . I am REALLY I xersupplied with tech know-how :'( .........


It really sounds like you'd be better off trying to access this site on a regular computer with a real keyboard.


The Archie character names and likenesses are covered by the registered trademarks/copyrights of Archie Comic Publications, Inc. and are used with permission by this site. The Official Archie Comics website can be visited at www.archiecomics.com.